The problem's not browser-specific (trust me, I checked), and not something which can be fixed by simply reinstalling the plugins. So my current working theory is the anti-malware program, Norton, is responsible for disabling adblock. Which...frankly, sucks, because there's not much playing around there that I'd want to risk, even on that junky computer.
It additionally means that the only way I can get to the mafia site is to frankly risk it, relying on Opera's built-in blocker when visiting a slightly-less-ad-filled proxy. I mean, I haven't tested the proxy on my computer, but frankly, I don't want to. Too much a risk. Will probably do it anyway, though, just because I'm desperate--I've got games that I need to fulfill my obligation in.
But its upside was that it forced me (out of sheer boredom if nothing else) to be productive; I finished the page of Red Hood Rider I was working on. Here, have a look at it.
Still, though...motive! I have it! Getting out of my funk. I love this page. It's got its flaws, yeah, but it's good. And I can't really expect more from myself than that.